Monday, December 7, 2009

Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake



This Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake was from Allrecipes. The original recipe was a Buttermilk Pound Cake but the intensity of lemon was increased and turned into a different tasting cake.


I chose this recipe mainly because it used buttermilk. A magazine advertised dried buttermilk; I was flabbergasted that such a creation existed and was quite happy with the discovery. Buttermilk in its wet and carton form is expensive. First, the price and second, it’s impossible to finish the carton before its expiration date. Most of the time, three-quarters of the carton is thrown away because it has gone bad. I was itching to try it and the magazine said the difference in taste between the two forms is not too noticeable.

I found Saco buttermilk and it’s easy to use: Mix in the dried buttermilk with the dried ingredients and when the recipe calls for the addition of buttermilk, add water.

Below is the recipe with modifications:

Ingredients:

2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3 cups white sugar
6 eggs
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk (4 tablespoons dried buttermilk + 1 cup water)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and dried buttermilk. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar. Mix in the eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice and zest and the vanilla extract. Gently mix in flour mixture alternately with water. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes. Do not open oven door until after one hour. When cake begins to pull away from the side of the pan it is done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.



The powdered buttermilk was mixed in with the dry ingredients.



My creaming efforts.



Right before it goes into the oven.



My finished piece.

The fragrant lemon taste was an added benefit to the fluffy yet dense pound cake. Buttermilk does make a noted difference in a recipe and this recipe is a definite keeper. I foresee this as a perfect gift, a piece to bring to social gatherings or a treat to enjoy at home.

My friend Tiffany over at FineChinaGirl can attest to its taste. When she tries out this recipe, I will certainly make a blog about it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay you finally updated your post! I hope to do the same with mine tonight.

    Your pound cake is definitely fluffy and I love the texture of it! When can I expect another slice of delicious pound cake? My parents like the chinese walnut pound cake, which if I have time I will make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This was perfectly moist and light. A nice sweet lemon flavor that was accenting on my tongue. Defenitely a cake that needed milk. Drank it with Horizon Organic Reduced and the sweetness of the milk played so well with the flavors of the cake, it seemed like they were made for each other. I had to limit myself to one glass or all the milk and cake in the house would be out!

    ReplyDelete