Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Pichet Ong's Spot



Spot, a dessert bar on 13 St. Marks Place, between Second and Third Avenue, is an easy place to miss since they are located in the basement. Their sign, as photographed above, is noticeable at night but during the day, make an extra effort to find this gem. It's definitely worth it.



A friend and I set out to look for Spot for we have enjoyed many delicious goods from the owner, Pichet Ong's previous dessert store: Batch. The official reason as to why Batch received the axe is unknown but according to Eater, Batch was frequently empty. Admittedly the location of Batch wasn't ideal. It was a bit out of the way and the area was mostly residential so people couldn’t discover Batch unless they made an extra effort to do so. I hope that with their move over to the east side, Spot will receive more attention and love.

My friend and I probably requested more dishes than we should have but we consoled ourselves with the idea that it was better than ordering one of everything.



The storefront and yes, that is astroturf.



The menu that was conveniently displayed to offer many yummy choices.



A showcase of some of their goodies.



Chocolate Green Tea Fruit Jam Cupcake:
My friend insisted that there was apricot jam within the cupcake so he made me eat most of the cake to taste it. I ate most of the cake before I reached the jam part. It was no hardship since the cake was so good.



Vanilla Caramel Vietnamese Coffee Cupcake:
I was pleasantly surprised to taste the kick of Vietnamese coffee.
The cake was moist and worked well with the frosting.

Chinese Walnut Cookie:
The cookie was thin and crispy. I usually like my cookies soft and gooey but something about this cookie was so good that I couldn't stop eating it.
I don't know what made it a Chinese walnut but I will have to try it repeatedly to find out.



Jackfruit Cake:  
Basil Seed, Rum Toffee & Coconut
I've never had jackfruit before so I'm not sure if the cake taste like it but it's very good. 



Chocolate Ganache Cake:  
Poached Honey Pear, Green Tea &Caramel
This dish was sinfully decadent. The chocolate was intense and would satisfy a chocolate lover's taste buds.



Condensed Milk Ice Cream:
This had a very subtle flavor. With the first spoon, I tasted a hint of flavor and with the second spoon, I was able to appreciate the subtle sweetness of the ice cream. Another bonus was the added creaminess of the texture.



The check came on this plate. It was too cute for me to resist taking a picture of it.

Spot is a must-go dessert bar. My only complaint was that we couldn't eat more but I will be back. This won't be the last time Spot sees me.

2 comments:

  1. Yay you updated finally! That reminds me, I should also do the same as well...

    So many questions! What is jackfruit? I want to try the gorgeous looking cupcakes! The frosting doesn't even look like frosting! Looks like mousse! The chinese walnut cookie looks unappealing but I'm sure tastes great! Let's go there!!

    The ganache looks good! Take me there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We NEED to put hawaiian food on this site, thought doesnt quite go with theme. Let's go! Everyone needs to know about the awesomeness that is hawaii. yay!

    ReplyDelete