Friday, November 27, 2009

Lady M Mille Crepe or Crepe Cake



Lady M, a dessert boutique located on 41 East 78th Street, between Madison and Park Avenue, is noted for their Mille Crepe or Crepe Cake. In French, mille means thousand and crepe is a thin kind of French pancake. The name alludes to a cake that is made with a thousand layer of crepe but in reality, it's made with a maximum of twenty-eight layers. In between the layers is cream, which acts as glue for all the crepes.

The desserts from Lady M are pricey but if you are a dessert connoisseur then it's a try-at-least-once kind of place.  It was my intention that I would try it a single time and never return due to cost. I bought a 6 inch crepe cake and returned home with it to share with my family. Dessert tastes better with loved ones. However, it turned out to be a bad move because my mom loved the crepe cake. From that day forward, she will only accept the crepe cake from Lady M as her birthday cake. For this reason, I make my annual trek over to 41 East 78th Street to purchase the mille crepe.

The bag was simple, which was an extension of Lady M. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture the interior but if I were to use three words that described the store's design it would be white, elegant and austere.



The box came with a sign to keep the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve. I guess many people did not understand that and required a note. This was a new addition since I have last bought a crepe cake.


The grand opening of the crepe cake! I'm pretty sure the top has been caramelized.



The cut of the cake was a bit messy since my mom was in a hurry to eat it.



A close-up of the cake.

The cake costs more than what I would prefer to pay but if it made my mom happy then it was definitely worth it. Again, it is a try-it-once kind of treat but if you end up in my shoes then it will be an annual treat to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. What happened to my comment?! It looks like a gigantic pancake which I loveee! When will you make me one? =)

    I'm going to make use of my spice cake box that I bought at stop and shop for $1 and make them into carrot cake cookies. Now, i just need a carrot so i can make the zest for.

    ReplyDelete