Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I ♥ Microplane Zester

I used to dread recipes that required zest because I had a box grater and it took twenty minutes to create a teaspoon of the stuff. Bits of the lemon would collect in between the holes and not enough would fall through for use. Using a tool to remove the zest particles that was stuck in between the holes cost more than it was worth because it would end up damaged. A box grater is dangerous because it's sharp and very easy to hurt careless fingers. In addition, I had to be mindful not to grate the pith, or the white part underneath the skin because that part of the lemon is bitter. Maintenance of the darned thing was annoying too. I had to take a toothbrush and slowly and gently scrub the top and the bottom side to make sure that it was free of food.


Making zest was so frustrating that I finally gave up and decided to never use a recipe that needed zest. It solved my problem even though that deprived me from enjoying citrus flavored desserts. C'est la vie! It wasn't worth the hassle.

One day I was surfing on Amazon and came across the Microplane Zester. The zester seemed to solve all the problems of the box grater: The zester creates zest in moments, doesn't grate the pith, safer with fingers and easy to clean-up. It appeared to be too good to be true but I had to try it. By then I have developed a strong craving for a lemon dessert and did not want to use the box grater again. Ever.

There are two kinds of Microplane Zester:  Handle and No Handle. I got the one without the handle because even though I researched and looked at a youtube video, I was still leery about getting this. I went with the cheaper one because if it didn't work, at least then I could console myself that I saved a few bucks.

When it arrived, I raced to the kitchen and immediately started to zest and this contraption is a miracle: IT WORKS! It did everything it claimed it would and so wonderfully. The handle-less aspect does make it a bit awkward but it's a minor issue.

Below is a tutorial guide:




Keep the zester tilted at an angle so that the zest would fall into the bow.



Run the lemon against the blades. Zest is being made!



 Check the underside of the Microplane. There's a bit that would collect there.



Wonderfully fragrant zest that is ready to be used.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try the zester! It better be worth it! And I think you should have at least one picture on your post so people can see it! When I clicked on the link to read more, how happy was I to see all them pics! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete