Monday, January 4, 2010

Toffee Bars


 
I wanted toffee candy but didn't want to make it because the last time I tried to, the results were not good. However a toffee bar recipe from Betty Crocker caught my attention and it looked like something that might satisfy my craving.


Substantial changes were not made except to the type of pan used. I like desserts that have a bit of height and do not appreciate recipes that yield wafer thin sizes, so an 8 inch square pan was used.

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup slivered almonds

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg yolk. Stir in flour and salt. Press in ungreased rectangular pan, 8 inch square pan.
2. Bake bars 25 to 30 minutes or until very light brown (crust will be soft). Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on hot crust. Let stand about 5 minutes or until chocolate is soft; spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts.
3. Cool bars 30 minutes in pan on wire rack. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.


Butter and sugar, the key ingredients of toffee.


Before...


And After.


These chocolate chips melted right before my eyes.


How it looks after the meltdown and with a bit of spreading.


Finally, the slivered almonds.

The toffee bars tasted pretty good; it tasted like toffee and was very easy to make. If I wanted a last-minute dessert or gift, this would be it. However, the toffee bars did not fulfill my craving for toffee candy. I want that hard candy feel that would become stuck to my teeth and would take a bit of gnawing to get rid of. For those of you that do not like that effect, this would be the perfect recipe for you.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Btw, what makes this a toffee bar? The recipe looks like pound cake + chocolate chips. Regardless it looks good and I want a piece! What will you bring for me when we meet up this thursday? I would make you faat go, but it shrinks and you'll have to steam it at home. Any request? Blondies? That seems to be the only thing I'm good at, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now completely understand the mechanics of toffee!

    http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/159/English-Toffee


    Check this out. I always learn something new when I'm on your page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe! It has all the toffee flavors and textures without all that sticking-in-your-teeth mess. It is a bit cake like but better. It is not soft by any means, just a crumbly toffee i guess. Well until there is a better word, or a person with a better vocabulary, i will leave describing it alone. Try it out!-rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I tried toffee bars with walnuts. Walnuts take away some of the sweetness (as most toffee bars are overly sweet) and the chewiness. And healthy too!

    ReplyDelete